Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 22:14:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        crosswjo@hp-pcd.cv.hp.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User PPP rtinit problems...

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996, John Crosswhite wrote:

> Here is a descripton of the problem:
>
> dial in.  everything works fine.  disconnect.  dial in again and I get the
> equivalent of the following:
>
> /kernel: rtinit: wrong ifa (some number)
>
> Now, this might be associated with the same problem.  My provider allocates
> IPs dynamically.  What kind of a line should I put in my /etc/hosts
> file??  I say this because the sysconfig line for ifconfig references
> the hostname in hosts.  If the wrong IP is given in hosts, how can
> tun0 be configured correctly?

I had this similar problem with my static ip setup. First dialup no good,
all others ok. Originally I had a made_up hostname in my /etc/sysconfig
& /etc/hosts file. rtinit went away when I placed the real hostname my
isp supplies in those files.

I know this may not help you with a dynamic ip address, but you might
contact your provider and ask them if they have a hostname set aside
for you;

	crosswjo.dialup.hp-pcd.net

or something along that line. Your ip address may be dynamic, but don't
dynamic users get some kind of permanent hostname? How else could they
identify you when you login?

[...]
> Thanks.
>
> John Crosswhite