Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 2009 19:10:44 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Steve Franks <bahamasfranks@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: korean & english on same box?

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 07:56:24PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
> My Korean mother-in-law is visiting USA for the first time.  I don't
> know the first thing about what it will take to make it so she can
> email home, so I'm hoping someone on the list is familiar with this?

I had a similar situation with Japanese in-laws. Fortunately, I'm
using GNOME, which has localisation for Japanese. I had to tweak their
~/.dmrc and add/alter:

    Language=ja_JP.UTF-8

Once they got past the English gdm login, they were presented with a
Japanese lanaguage desktop.

The ports which I had to install were:

    www/firefox35
    www/firefox35-i18n
    mail/thunderbird
    mail/thunderbird-i18n
    japanese/scim-anthy

I'm guessing that you'll have to do something similar for Korean,
adding to ~/.dmrc:

    Language=ko-KR.UTF-8

and installing korean/scim-hangul; as well as firefox and thunderbird
and their internationalisation support.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
                "If everything's under control, you're going too slow"