Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 10:44:30 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Clare & Peter Stubbs <clarenpete@sol.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the /stand directory after a make world

On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 08:44:15PM +0000, Clare & Peter Stubbs wrote:
> I've just cvsup'd the latest sourced to 2_2_releng from
> cvsup.uk.freebsd.org and done a make world. The whole compile and
> install went fine, but the /stand directory is still straight from my
> 2.2.5 CD. I suspect that lots of work has been done on sysinstall and
> such in the time since 2.2.5 was released.
>
> How do I get /stand updated with this fine new code?

Right now, I believe the only way to do this is to build a release of
FreeBSD (you must first have done a 'make world'). Part of the process
of building the release will create a new .../stand/ directory for you,
and you could then copy the contents of that directory into /stand/.

A cursory glance at /usr/src/release/Makefile shows

    # How to roll a release:
    #
    # make release CHROOTDIR=/some/dir BUILDNAME=somename [ RELEASETAG=tag ]
    #
    # Where "/some/dir" is the pathname of a directory on a some
    # filesystem with at least 600MB of free space, "somename" is what
    # you want the release to call itself and, optionally, which CVS "tag"
    # name should be used when checking out the sources to build the release
    # (default is HEAD).
    #
    # Please note: the vn driver must also be compiled into your kernel,
    # otherwise the target 'release.8' and possibly others will fail.

I didn't go any further, because I haven't had breakfast yet, and I hate
to do these sorts of things on an empty stomach :-)

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?