Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 10:46:32 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Cc:        guy@obstruction.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgear FA410 pccard ethernet?

Robert Swindells wrote:

> Guy Middleton <guy@obstruction.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 01:07:29AM -0500, Wes Peters wrote:
> >> As far as the FA410 goes, you might try some permutation of "ed".  Their
> >> datasheet on the website is singularly unhelpful:
> >>
> >>      http://www.netgearinc.com/products/ds_fa410tx/index.shtml
>
> >You're right, there's no information there.  I did get it going with
> >the "ed" driver, after reading some old messages on the freebsd-mobile
> >list.  It seems to work only in one direction, however.  Outgoing
> >ping, telnet, ssh, http, all work, but incoming does not.  When I try
> >a different pccard ethernet (an NE4100, which also uses the "ed"
> >driver), everything works fine, so the problem seems to be with the
> >card.
>
> It is listed as a supported card in PAO.

You might want to look at the flags settings and such in the PAO pccard
configuration files.

> I have one as well but never got it to work. I haven't tried PAO yet
> as I have got a spare 3COM card, but it would be nice to be able to
> run at 100Mbps.

If you're expecting to get anywhere near 100Mbps performance out of a
PCCard, you're going to be shocked.  These cards allow you to connect
to a 100BaseTX port, but aren't going to deliver anywhere near 100Mbps
throughput.  I've seen figures like 16Mbps quoted, but haven't tried
any measurments myself.

CardBus will certainly help all this mess, when Warner and the gang have
it really working.  If you have a particular card you'd like to see work,
talk to Warner about sending him one.  He might even send it back when
he's done with it.  ;^)