Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:00:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Joerg Pulz <Joerg.Pulz@frm2.tum.de>
To:        freebsduser@comcast.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help Samba3 seems broke for me...

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 freebsduser@comcast.net wrote:

>>> Hiya folks,
>>>
>>> Like a goof I didn't ask portupgrade to back up my beautiful Samba3.0.5 and
>> when I went to Samba3.0.11 everything in Samba went to pot, IMO.
>>>
>>> The only upside is that in my ports/distfiles is a nifty file named
>> samba-3.0.5.tar.gz.
>>>
>>> The question I have is how can I build from that 3.0.5 tar file?
>>>
>>> Help is greatly appreciated :)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> first, you could check out an earlier version of the ports tree.
>> Thu Jul 22 14:38:05 2004 UTC was the exact time, the 3.0.5 went into
>> ports.
>>
>> But!!
>>
>> why don't you tell us, what exactly is not working or bad with
>> samba-3.0.11? it would be much better to fix the bug's or solve the
>> problems you are expiriencing instead of going back to an old version and
>> getting back all the bad bugs which are fixed in 3.0.11.
>>

>> awaiting your detailed problem report for 3.0.11
>> Joerg
> Joerg,
> I'll have to compile it. When I get that done I'll list what ever issue(s) I am having.
> Since I have two machines, and I was thinking the second one was being tempermental that's when I decided to take the first computer and also put 3.0.11 on and had the same problem (I'll list the problem(s) I'm having when I get it finished and set up as per http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2464512 )
> While I'm compiling 3.0.11 on one system, what would I need to do to get 3.0.5 back on the other? I found portdowngrade but I've never used cvs before and tried going through the tutorials but they seem rather cryptic, or perhaps lacking because a few years back I remember them being a bit more user friendly ( http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/anoncvs.html )
> Thanks for your assistance.

okay, a very short description...
as i'am in germany i use the german CVS mirror.

prompt> touch ~/.cvspass
prompt> cd /usr/ports/net
prompt> rm -r samba3
prompt> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.de.freebsd.org:/home/ncvs login

- --> Now the you are asked for a password, please type: anoncvs

prompt> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.de.freebsd.org:/home/ncvs co \
- -D"Thu Jul 22 14:38:05 2004 UTC" samba3

thats all. now the samba3 port is at version 3.0.5 and you should be able
to build and install it.

Joerg

- --
The beginning is the most important part of the work.
 				-Plato