Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2019 13:18:48 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Best hardware for a replacement desktop?
References:  <CAGBxaX=ch_=NKBAme9wTQjSVsJ4Oxschs3Qg7Kddh7KouW3DJw@mail.gmail.com> <5ceb24c1-66ce-2603-5eed-78283d9676b7@holgerdanske.com> <CAGBxaXmiAy2xAKT1oyat4J_Q-gOFTzEEiQQso3oTS9EqoY3ayQ@mail.gmail.com> <23861.63968.885139.970960@jerusalem.litteratus.org> <1618173539.5511975.1563822072600@mail.yahoo.com> <CAGBxaXnKpD8ok%2B9YPr_s1fYrEnj%2BWP20_5dAFp17Bz2KdReKEg@mail.gmail.com> <1125579496.1306494.1563881223475@mail.yahoo.com> <20190723173126.2a26ee26@archlinux>

> Is hardware video acceleration a domain of FreeBSD apps?
>
> In the recent days I experimented for the very first time with hardware
> video acceleration on my Linux machine, just to notice that it works
> with mpv from command line, but actually _no_ web browser does support
> it.

It is more a function of what kmods you use with xorg... I use
x11/nvidia-driver and never had an issue (even on low to mid-range cards)
with this when properly configured (the documentation currently has a
reported bug that leads to a misconfiguration [you need to load nvidia.ko
as well as nvidia-modeset.ko in loader.conf and not post device probing....
if you load it in /etc/rc no acceleration for some reason]).

Also it is app dependant like anything that uses libxvid or the equiv works
fine (including stuff that turns it on in opengl) for example xine works
without issue for me (I am not picky though as long the frame rate is high
enough to fool the eye, it plays back in real time, you can see all the
details of the original frame if you pause it and words and lips are in
sync I really don't care about much else [degraded resolution is ok,
dropped frames are ok, etc.])

> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:27:03 +0000 (UTC), Paul Pathiakis wrote:
> >However, even when you settle on graphics and storage media, check the
> >power consumption.  I've been going lower and lower on my PSUs.  I'm
> >down to using 550-650W now and will, in time, probably, go lower but
> >with a higher efficiency something in the 80-Gold or higher. Also, you
> >don't need to buy a PSU with 800W.  It's just overkill.  Calculate
> >(there's a lot of online calculators) how much your machine will
> >draw.  Take that and add 33%.  Otherwise, you're spending extra money
> >for nothing.
>
> I'm using a 600 W PSU for a machine that is probably less power
> consuming, than the hardware of the OP's links might consume, let alone
> that the power consumption is no reasonable value for the provided
> Ampere at the other side. I don't know if it's the mobo, the OS (Linux)
> or the PSU, while USB3 bus power is fine, USB2 bus power is a PITA. I
> need to use very short cables and sometimes even an active hub. I
> suspect the PSU. The reason that I didn't bought a PSU able to provide
> more Ampere was a question of money. I simply couldn't pay for another
> PSU.
>
> I would be careful when calculating real power consumption. What makes
> you think that adding 33% is a good value?
>
> The PSU does consume power on demand, it's better to have headroom.
>
> Power saving is done by avoiding oversized CPUs etc., resp. for
> "TV/cable (download/stream shows)" probably via hardware video
> acceleration, if available.

Since there is only a $15 (at most) between 450/600 W (roughly the same
price range) and 850 W I mightiest well do overkill (who knows what I will
be attaching to the machine in the future due to the nature of my work [for
example last year I had a EKG monitor attached to it for development
purposes, earlier this year I had a computer controlled turnstile [used a
subway fare gate] attached to it for professional reasons).

PSU's are one thing if I have any option I want overkill... in other areas
like keyboards and mice I want el cheapo ones (I am very rough on them some
how and even the most expensive and "high use" ones last no more then 6
months to a year so it is cheaper to just buy $10 ones every 3 or 4 months)