Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 18:28:16 -800
From:      walton@nordicdms.com (Dave Walton)
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall not showing all packages

On  8 May 98 at 15:32, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 5 May 1998, Dave Walton wrote:
>
> > The oddest thing just happened.  I had just finished a new install,
> > and I wanted to install Lynx.  I ran /stand/sysinstall and told it to
> > install from ftp.freebsd.org.  When it displayed the package listing,
> > Lynx was missing!  I went and looked in
> > ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.6/www, and there it was,
> > right where it was supposed to be.  Two different versions, in fact.
>
> Sysinstall checks /usr/ports/INDEX for it's list.  If that is out of date
> then it won't show.

Hrm.  Why would sysinstall look at my local /usr/ports/INDEX when I
told it to install *packages* via *ftp*?  Besides, lynx is in there.

On the other hand, you're on the right track.  A quick check of
ftp://ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.6/INDEX shows that
lynx is *NOT* listed in that file.  I dunno who is responsible for
updating that file, but looks like it needs refreshing.  Wonder what
else is missing...

Speaking of sysinstall...  The "HTML Docs" menu item is hard-coded to
require lynx-2.7.2 to be installed.  Is there some way to override
that?  I already have lynx-2.8rel.2 installed.

Thanks,
Dave