Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:05:31 -0800
From:      "John Purser" <johnmpurser@home.com>
To:        "'J McKitrick'" <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: amazon email response

Big is all I've got against them really.  I understand the economic forces
that are collapsing and consolidating one market after another I just don't
like it on a personal level.  So I vote my economic $.02 by eating at the
local restaurant instead of Macdonald's, I wear New Balance shoes (Good web
site, good shoes, made in America) instead of Nike's, and I try to avoid
"The Big National Guy" if there's a decent smaller alternative.  Take
operating systems for example...

I'm not saying big is necessarily evil by definition.  For instance in a
world with as much malnourishment and outright starvation as we have I have
a few problems with advocating preserving the family farm at the expense of
the economies of scale that consolidation can bring.

Some things are just sad, not bad.

On the other hand as someone who grew up not only in the Southern US but in
Appalachia I tend to be innately suspicious of anything that gets too big
and when you cap that off by telling me I have no choice I tend to lay my
ears back and get just a tad reactionary!  As my buddy Merle says "You're
walking on the fighting side of me!"

FWIW

John Purser

Currently boycotting Amazon.com