Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:20:52 -0500
From:      "Eric Crist" <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        "'Bill Moran'" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, "'Mark Jayson Alvarez'" <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Humble questions for web developers in freebsd.

owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:

>> 2. Do you know how can I run a perl program in freebsd without having
>> it preceded with the word perl? (I tried changing its mode to 755 and
>> also putting it to /usr/local/bin but it didn't work(don't laugh at
me
>> please.. I'm still learning:=).
>
> Just call the program.  If it has X permissions for available
> for you (the user you're trying to run it as) it will notice
> the #!/usr/bin/perl at the head of the file an user perl to
> interpret the script.  I noticed you had
> #!/usr/local/bin/perl in your earlier comments.  Use "which
> perl" to find out the path to perl on your system and use
> that.  If that first line has the wrong path, your scripts won't run.

Another point here.  If you're in the directory where this program
resides, you need to prepend a ./ before the command.  This is another
Unix thing, there to protect yourself from running the wrong command.
The ./ tells the system you want to run a program from the current
directory, and not something from within your PATH variable.

HTH

Eric F Crist
Best Access Systems
11300 Rupp Dr. Burnsville, MN 55337