Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 12:03:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, <info@netcraft.com>, <webmaster@netcraft.com>
Subject:   Re: Netcraft no longer sees FreeBSD ... ?

On 2002-09-06, Marc G. Fournier scribbled:

# 	I've tried to search the web ala Google to try and find *some*
# information on how/what Netcraft does, but am drawing a blank ... so this
# is one of those 'if its somewhere I've missed, please just point me to it'
# ...
#
# 	Starting around the middle of June, Netcraft started to report my
# servers as OS: unknown ... and no longer reporting uptime values ...

[snip]

# 	Does anyone know why Netcraft can no longer detect FreeBSD?  Is it
# an OS version issue?  Or an Apache issue?

Do you have TCP_DROP_SYNFIN or RANDOM_IP_ID compiled into your kernel
or enabled in rc.conf and/or sysctl?

I compiled my kernel with both and NetCraft stopped recognizing the OS
as FreeBSD and I haven't had a chance to change it back.

# 	Does anyone know what Netcraft uses to determine uptime?

My guess is that it periodically queries your machine once enough
requests have been made. If it gets a host unreachable, connection
refused or something like that... then it will mark that the server as
"down". Yeah... it doesn't make as much sense as using 'uptime' since
sites behind load balancers can really inflate the numbers.

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org