Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:12:39 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fusefs-kmod does not work on 8-STABLE?

On Apr 12, 2013, at 16:28, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru> wrote:
> I've found the culprit: the problem is in this command of the build:
>
>    ld -Bshareable  -d -warn-common -o hello.ko.debug hello.kld
>
> I had put /usr/local/bin in my $PATH before /usr/bin for a reason I don't
> currently recall, and have binutils-2.23.1 installed.  As a result, ld(1)
> in the quoted line above was called from /usr/local/bin/ld, which brought
> in all the weird things I was observing: failure of fusefs-kmod, failure
> of simple "hello world" KLD, "link_elf: symbol <blah> undefined" messages
> when loading snd_hda(4) and nvidia(4) drivers.
>
> How, does anyone have a clue why new ld(1) plays so badly with our system
> toolchain on 8.x (at least)?

Maybe because there is almost 10 years difference between those
implementations? :-)

In any case, to figure out what is different, just try linking the
kernel module with the system ld and the ports ld, and comparing
"readelf -a" output.

Or upload both module versions somewhere, so we can all have a look.