Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:16:46 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Rotaru Razvan <roti_343@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp site problem

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 04:45:16AM -0700, Rotaru Razvan wrote:

> Well I just installed FreeBSD release 4.5 through ftp. The problem is
> that /statd/sysinstall did not find the packages I requested on the ftp
> sites (i tried several sites that the installer listed). So now I have
> FreeBSD with XF386 (but no KDE), man pages, info files and several
> other stuff, but not a single package installed (pkg_info -a tells me
> that). So whats wrong? Does the site have a problem?

The ftp sites generally only carry the packages for the last two
releases from the -STABLE branch.  As 4.7 came out last week, the 4.5
packages have now disappeared from the sites.

However all is not yet lost.  There are two solutions to your problem.
The first is simply to use the latest set of packages, which should
work fine on 4.5 despite being compiled for 4.7.  These can be found
at eg.

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable

or in the same location on the mirror sites.  Use pkg_add to download
and install packages:

    setenv PACKAGESITE  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/All/
    pkg_add -r apache-1.3.27.tgz

The second, and in my opinion preferable, solution is to use the ports
system, and download and build from source.  How to do this has been well
documented.  Start with this page:

    http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

You'll need to install the cvsup(1) package to grab the initial ports
tree, and you'll probably want to install portupgrade(1) to ease
maintenance of your installed ports.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way