Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:58:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Antonio Bemfica <antonio@axolotl.ic.gc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall cannot find any disks ?

> I did a "make" then "make install"  in /usr/src/release/sysinstall and it
> replaced the old one. However, how do I update the rest of the stuff in
> /stand? A "make world" didn't do it, and I suppose it is not safe to have
> /stand out of sync with the rest of the OS, since it seems it is usefull
> in an emergency situation.

/stand is really a hack and is probably going away in the near future,
so I wouldn't worry about it too much.  To "repopulate" it would
require re-crunching a fat executable and remaking all the links (or
just copying it over the same inode and preserving the hard links).

This process is onerous and non-intuitive enough for me to deem /stand
a one-time hack and if it weren't also such an occasionally useful
hack, I'd remove /stand post-installation time and not even advertise
it :-)

- Jordan