Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:07:06 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox 0.9 does not work

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 13:50, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 16:41, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> > I just upgraded firefox 0.8 to firefox 0.9 and now I cannot even start
> > the browser!  The first time it started, it came up with a configuration
> > box, and I let it go with the "upgrade from 0.8" box checked (although I
> > cannot remember the exact wording...).  Since then, whenever I type
> > "firefox", it pauses briefly and eventually exits with no messages
> > printed out at all.  I tried reinstalling with -DWITH_LOGGING on the
> > make command line, but that has not changed the behavior.
> >
> > So, currently I have no access to firefox, whereas I used to get
> > wonderful service.  How do I get it to print anything at all at me
> > during loading so I can get some idea where it fails and attempt to fix
> > whatever has happened?
>
> You should have read UPDATING, ports@, or my commit message.

What are you talking about?  I run 4-STABLE, no message in UPDATING!  I
do not find any reason that I need to monitor ports@ or to read CVS
commit messages, unless you have chosen to create a brand-new
requirement out of whole cloth that says that I need to monitor ports@
all of a sudden.

If you make a change like this in a standard gnome application, you need
to at least mention it on the gnome@ list or somehow make it a
requirement that everyone who monitors gnome@ no has to *also* monitor
ports@.

/Joe