Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 07:07:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Artec AS6E (was: Trying to get an HP Scanjet to work (again).)

> > i had to replace it with a parallel port Artec AS6E for which i
> > managed to write a control program at
> >
> >     http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ppscan990326.c
> >
> > the AS6E is very cheap, kind of poor quality but its data sheets are
> > available...
>
> This looks great.  I'm surprised nobody else has made any comments.
> How well does it work?

it just works, at the moment a bit slow and only in two modes
(color and grey, 300dpi), and only with
command line interface. I just did not have the time to clean up the
code but don't see any major trouble with my program.

This said, the scanner -- at least in the optical part -- is rather
poor quality, nothing to share with the much nicer (until it worked)
Scanjet (which, however, did cost me five times as much, plus a
SCSI interface...).

A major problem in this particular scanner is that the sensor is not a
CCD but another thing called CIS which seems to have large variations
of response from one pixel to the next, so the data straight from the
scanner need a correction for every pixel. My driver does not do it at
the moment but it is a simple thing.

On why nobody commented... well, i am very bad at advertising my stuff!

	cheers
	luigi