Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:59:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Kevin McCarthy <kmcc@atipa.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Success!! Re: Blender News Feb 25, 1998 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 20:35:28 +0100
From: Ton Roosendaal <quad.neogeo.nl!ton@neogeo.nl>
To: kmcc@atipa.com
Subject: Blender News Feb 25, 1998

Hi!

After an overwhelming amount of mail from the Linux/FreeBSD community:
let's set things clear.

 * The 3D package Blender has been released as a 100% freeware program.
 * It's available for SGI now, and will be ported to FreeBSD and Linux
   within 1-2 months (i386 only).
 * It's not 'crippled' in the usual sense. On the contrary, most users
   will find it an extremely useful program.
   The disabled options are merely interesting for professionals and companies,
   and make up our research and development of the last year.

Somehow - and we don't know yet - this project will have a commercial side.
The reactions that we received greatly help us in finding a solution.

One possible scenario is to first publish the freeware version, set up
a wide user base and gather market information. Six months later
we can publish a 'Pro' package, with some nice features and extra tools
for professionals, including a printed manual. We can do this for a very low price.
Finally, as an ultimate step, we can publish the sources too.

Other scenarios basically vary in market position, price, and cross-platfom
aspects. Yes or no to Microsoft? An SGI NT box? Publish sources immediately?
These and other options are currently under consideration.

We will keep you informed!

For news, examples, screenshots, rendered images and a brief manual check
out our website regularly. Don't forget the NeoGeo and Enji sections.
http://www.neogeo.nl

Cheers,
-Ton-
| Ton Roosendaal         -  voice: (+31) 40 212 6588 |
| NeoGeo/Enji Games      -  fax:   (+31) 40 212 5776 |
| Floraplein 6    5643 JG Eindhoven   The Netherlands|
| ton@neogeo.nl  ton@enji.com  http://www.neogeo.nl  |