Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 00:48:29 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Wiring

   Am I right that your concern is that the default behavior of a
   FreeBSD kernel is potentially wondering SCSI disks, and that providing
   the capability of wiring down the disks is only a partial solution,
   since the majority of the great unwashed won't wire them down and will
   be likely to be hurt by this?

Great majority probably have 1 or 2 disks, so this isn't a big risk for
them, but it is also irrelevant to them whether the disks are wired or
mapped (most people probably have root disk as id 0 anyway).  For large
systems it is both administrative trouble and filesystem/database
corruption risk.

   If we built a kernel using your table above my disks would move around.

   Also, my tapes will show up as st2 and st3
   since they aren't at those targets.

   I can't see how to change this without having a big upgrade headache
   and incompatability with existing kernels.

It will continue to cause headache as long as it stays there, and the later
the reverting to fixed ids is pushed, the more difficult it will become.

-
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN