Date:      Mon, 1 May 1995 19:19:52 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian>
To:        hackers
Subject:   policy with sources imported..

Very often I want to compile something from FreeBSD, for another OS, so that
I have compatible versions. This of course means I have to 'UN-PORT' it.
I understand that for the ports, we have a lead back to the original
versions, but for things that are imported, there are no such links..

would it make sense for us to have in our sources, at least a pointer to
where it came from?

The current case in point for me is rarpd..
now I guess it came with 4.4, but I can't find anywhere,
a version of rarpd that doesn't need bpf..
It seems to me that rarpd should be able to run using
a raw ICMP socket, similar to ping, but
I can't find a version that does that, yet there are enough
machines out there that don't have bpf for me to believe that possibly
there might have been a version of this same software that
did it with raw sockets.. (It might even be possible with this code
if the original docs were there..)

This sort of thing hits me again and again..
I want something that I know is in FreeBSD, but can't find any
pointers as to where to look before that...

any ideas?

am I just net-illiterate?

julian