Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 21:54:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Grandpa Walrus <root@web-walrus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Regarding SCSI Hardware

I looked on the FreeBSD site, and I don't see any information about
supported SCSI devices.  Is this information contained anywhere on my
system?

I'm looking for a simple solution to do hot-swappable SCSI RAID mirroring
(one drive goes bad, the system stays up, I swap it when I get the chance
sort of thing) under FreeBSD 3.x or 4.x.

Does this require a significant amount of hardware?  I would imagine I
would need a couple of bay enclosures that have the electronics to support
hot-swap, a card that allows the swap (and supports RAID), and appropriate
drives.  Are there any vendors for these products that are better than
others?  Anybody to stay away from?

Also, is it possible to have two different sized disks in a RAID array?
(i.e. I install two 9 GB SCSI disks, and later I can't find any 9 GB disks
to replace a failed one with...would a 12 GB disk work?)  Do they have to
be exactly the same RPM?

As always, any answers or comments you have would be greatly appreciated.