Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:02:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Aloha Guy <alohaguy123@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD box as router adding latency

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Aloha Guy wrote:

> > What do you have HZ set to (see sysctl kern.clockrate)? I think I
> > remember your original message showing you using pipes and queues
> > and the HZ setting can affect those. Also see if your latency
> > improves if you remove all pipe and queue rules (other ipfw rules
> > are OK).
>

> Here is the HZ setting:
>
> kern.clockrate: { hz = 100, tick = 10000, profhz = 1024, stathz = 128 }
>
> I'm not sure how to remove the pipe since I don't think the pipe
> works until the queue is defined.  When I removed the queues that
> are configured for the pipe, the latency is back to normal though.

Like I said, remove both pipes and queues to test.  However, pipes
_can_ be used without queues, but that is irrelevant here.  Try
setting HZ to 1000 in your kernel config, recompile, reboot, and test
again.  You should see something between a slight improvement to a
ten-fold improvement.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?