Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2007 16:55:40 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sean McAfee <smcafee@collaborativefusion.com>, Benjie Chen <benjie@addgene.org>
Subject:   Re: PERC5 (LSI MegaSAS) Patrol Read crashes

On Saturday 29 September 2007 09:18:17 pm Benjie Chen wrote:
> I can confirm this problem on a PE1950 with the 6.2 i386 kernel as well.
> Manual patrol read started by megacli crashes the system.

Hmm, I haven't tried with megacli, but an internal tool at work is able to
start manual patrol reads w/o causing a crash, and I've also seen production
boxes running automatic patrol reads w/o causing crashes.  Do you have to
have a certain load before it will crash?

> > mif0: COMMAND 0xffffffff892bc998 TIMEOUT AFTER 45 SECONDS
> >
> > The first 8 values of the hex never change - I bring that up because I
> > suspect the problem has something to do with the enclosure, which is
> > attached at 8, 255, or fffffff, depending on where you're looking.

No, the value is a pointer to the in-kernel command structure.  FWIW, I've
seen this message with MegaCli with other commands (like removing a volume),
so this may have to do with our support for MegaCli.  In the case
of -LdDelete though, I didn't see an OS crash.  However, I've only seen that
during testing and would reboot the box once it went south (I also wasn't
using any mfi(4) volumes for the base system at the time).

--
John Baldwin