Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:28:13 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        float@firedrake.org, David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, Neal Nelson <neal@nelson.name>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [hackers] Writing a PCI ADSL Driver

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> I'm sure that if we drive the 3060 as a NATM interface, we can write generic
> netgraph code to attach to a link layer ATM interface and examine inbound
> ATM UNI cells for their VPI*VCI and act accordingly.
>
> This will certainly require ngatm and is a good testing ground for that code.

eni3060 can be configured to receive all unknown VC's on
separately handled receive descriptor.

Another issue is how to cleanly separate xDSL chipset handling
from ATM SAR handling.

For example both eni3060/3061 and 3com HomeConnect have alcatel chipset
but different ATM sar's (eni - lanai, 3com - idt). xDSL handling could be
common to both as code dealing with alcatel chipset is same.

Same thing about configuring modem for different linecodes (G.dmt, G.lite,
ANSI, etc). I looked at miibus, but that is not generic enough to be used
here.

best regards,
taavi