Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 16:06:17 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world still broken around krb4_version bug--when will the patch reach stable?

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 21:38 +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> On 14 May, Dave Uhring wrote:
> > The only way I have found that works is to rm -rf /usr/src
> > and re-install the source tree from my latest CD, then cvsup
> > to stable.  Are you sure that your tag line is correct and
> > that you haven't accidently installed the current source
> > tree?  Do you have src all and crypto all in your cvsupfile?
>
> Hmm.  I'd really rather not delete and re-fetch everything.
> I've been keeping this source tree -stable for about four years
> now.  I've never done the CD thing at all, actually.

May I suggest to you (and other interested readers as well) to
cvsup the CVS repo then and get your /usr/src tree from there?

This is not much of a problem if you have 1.5 GB of disk to spare
(that's easy these days).  But it enables you to fetch *any*
release from any date you wish for reading or compiling, remove
and rebuild your source tree(s), apply local changes and
enhancements, do some research locally and efficiently.

You can work either from one CVS server for your whole LAN or on
a single desktop machine for itself.  This way you wouldn't even
be bitten too much from breaking modem / ISDN / LAN connections.
Plus you save the project's bandwidth and computing power when
updating multiple machines.  And you get a _consistent_ state
across all the machines.  After one machine has passed your
tests.

If this is not great, what else could one expect? :>

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net