Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:57:34 +0100
From:      "Simon L. B. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update "mirror" howto

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Mathieu Arnold <mat@freebsd.org> wrote:

> It's not really a hubs thing, but anyway, I thought I'd share my few bits...
>
> For a long time, I pondered about upgrading my 300+ freebsd servers, and a
> few months back freebsd-update seemed like the way to go...

Very interesting for information like this to be shared. Even better
if somebody could be tricked into putting it in the handbook :-).

> Now, I did not want all those servers to hit the main freebsd-update
> servers, so I setup a nice local "mirror" using varnish.

Why did you decide to go with Varnish instead of a program designed as
a forward cache?

> Varnish's configuration is there https://gist.github.com/2637602 and it
> would be even better if varnish could use SRV records to define it's
> backends by itself, but for now, there are a couple of shell that I have to
> run whenever I feel like it to update the list.

Evil workaround thing would be to just parse the SRV records in a
script and then generate the varnish config wrt. backend based on
that... not pretty though :-).

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen