Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:24:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        Michael Edwards <mike422@gte.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root password

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Michael Edwards wrote:

> I just got through installing FreeBSD and I was told to reboot.  I get a
> login prompt, where do I go from here.  I know Unix, but I can't figure out
> how to setup user accounts.  Is there a default password for root, or was I
> supposed to setup the root user before I rebooted.  Any comments will help!

When you get to the prompt, log in as root without a password, then use
passwd to set a password and use adduser to create user accounts.  You can
set a root password after the install and add users, but it doesn't really
make much difference.. unless you set the root password and forget it :)

HTH,

Jim

|=> Jim Mock [jim@thunder.st0rm.com] [jim@phrantic.phear.net]	<=|
|=> st0rm Internet Services | A franchise of Triax, Inc.	<=|
|=> web: http://www.st0rm.com/ | web: http://www.phear.net/	<=|
|=> Website Design & Hosting | Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia	<=|
|=> FreeBSD: The Power to Serve | http://www.freebsd.org/	<=|