Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:32:38 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'j mckitrick' <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Best IDE for slow system?

Dear Mikhail,

> Good points, all of them.  I've been trying to decide between learning
> GTK or Swing to write a simple instrument control program.

I learned Swing and the dreaded GridBagLayout. It's actually quite simple to
use, I find. Generating the gui is a bad idea, IMNSHO, since you end up
having to write the difficult bits yourself anyway. When the going gets
tough, the IDE's let you down.

The gridbag becomes easy after you've written a little wrapper around it
with sane defaults and some convenience methods. Simply entend the JPanel
with a default GridBagLayout and it'll all make sense after a few
frustrating days. (I won't deny that) The Core Swing book actually features
a little experimentation applet that lets you play with the various layout
managers. I'm sure it's up for download somewhere.

I never used GTK, so I cannot comment on that.

As for IDE: I develop with FreeBSD's default vi and Ant 1.4.1. Ant's only
virtue is that it will work on all OS's. In my current project we have a mix
of FreeBSD, Linux, cygwin on Windows and Windows on the developer's desktops
and roll-out is on a Solaris box. How's that for heterogenous environments?
Our only portability issue turned out to be table names in MySQL, which we
work around by using lower case table names only.

    Kees Jan