Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2007 22:15:25 +0200
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        "Dino Vliet" <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: advice on compiling a new kernel & upgrading to the latest sources

From: "Dino Vliet" <dino_vliet@yahoo.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 9:56 PM
Subject: advice on compiling a new kernel & upgrading to the latest
sources

> Hi folks,
> from different sources I have written my steps to
> compile a new kernel & upgrade to the latest sources.
> Can anyone have a look into them and tell me if I
> won't run into troubles or if there are better ways to
> achieve the same?

//snip

The order how things are done is slightly different, I kept the
numbers original though,but the sequence is:

> 12.cd /usr/src
> 13.make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

Reboot after installing the new kernel. New kernel isn't there just
after droppping to singleuser, but you need to boot.

> 11.If the new kernel doesn't boot reboot and hit the
> space bar at the boot prompt and boot kernel.old If
> the new kernel boots OK mount -a

Check that new kernel acts somewhat sane (some programs might fail
though due changed kernel interfaces, like top or ps for example - I
do go full multiuser to check this)

> 14.Go into single user mode
> 15.cd /usr/src
> 16.mergemaster -p
> 17.make installworld
> 18.mergemaster -i
> 19.exit and reboot

Shouldn't be need for reboot after this, just hit ctrl-D and enjoy the
updated system. Updated scripts are executed only after machine goes
into full multiuser.

-Reko