Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:37:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        alex@frustum.clara.co.uk
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running netscape causes "libXt.so.6 bad magic number" error message

In local.freebsd.questions you write:

>[snip]

>> I found many other posts with this very same question in the mailing
>> list's archives in the meantime, but no answers!

>I have the same problem as you. I have the following installed:

>netscape-remote-1.0
>netscape-wrapper-2000.07.07
>XFree86-aoutlibs-3.3.3
>Netscape Navigator 4.7

>and compat22

>[alex@~] ldconfig -r | grep libXt.so.6
>       99:-lXt.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6

>So I definitely have everything installed including the libraries.

>Just like you I have found many complaints on the mail lists, but no
>answers. It seems this is a reoccuring problem, with no answer.

>If anybody has a solution, I would be very grateful if they could
>share it.

Make sure you don't have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set when running netscape.
If it contains /usr/X11R6/lib, the netscape binary will prefer to load
libraries from there instead of the "aout" ones it really needs.

For normal operation you really shouldn't need LD_LIBRARY_PATH anyway.

  $.02,
  /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com