Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 1997 14:23:27 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting /usr/ports everywhere...

At 03:54 AM 3/7/97 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>I've been thinking about this for awhile, and I'm wondering whether or
>not 2.2 might be a good time to unleash /usr/ports as a distribution
>tarball as part of the release.
[... part snippet ...]
>I'd also like to make the ports collection a little more well
>integrated as a general resource, with more targets aimed at people
>looking for things ("cd /usr/ports; make search KEY="emacs") and just
>on the whole more accessible to the total novice.  Making it a 1st
>class object in the installation menu would be a good first step, I
>think!
>
>Comments?  Partially fermented fruit?

I'm in favour (of the proposal, not of fermented fruit :-)  Actually, I'd
also like to have CVSup as a standard target, along with a cvsup-file that
automatically track /usr/ports and the nescessary parts of
make/bsd.port.mk/bsd.port.subdir.mk.  The setup really rocks (automatic
upgrade of ports, and if you take the time to read the logfile you'll see
what upgrades happen.)

CTM/sup/CVSup is one of the things that really set FreeBSD apart.  It would
be a Good Thing to make it more accessible; I at least want as many people
as possible to run it, as they'll never go back to anything less than daily
upgrades :)

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org