Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:04:06 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printer Port LPT2

On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 07:07:36PM -0600, Frank Griffith wrote:
> As a new user of UNIX and FreeBSD I am still probing my way
> thru the fundamentals.
>
> When my system boots FreeBSD 2.2.5, the following is
> displayed in the hardware setups:
>
> lpt0  at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
> lpt0: Interrupt driven port
> lpt1  at 0x378-0x37f on isa
> lpt1: not probed due to I/O address conflict with lpt0 at 0x378
>
> I assume that lpt0 is in actuality lpt1 and lpt1 is actually lpt2:

lpt0 is LPT1 and lpt1 is LPT2 from a DOS perspective.

> And this conflict/error is harmless. Correct?

You're not going to physically `harm' anything, but you're also not
going to be using lpt1 (LPT2) unless you fix the address conflict.

The good side to this is that you are probably going to learn about
the kernel configuration file and how to rebuild the FreeBSD kernel.

Take a look at ``Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel'' section of the
``FreeBSD Handbook'' at

   http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html

--
Regards,