Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 23:22:10 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
Cc:        abial@webgiro.com, taavi@uninet.ee, kaj@raditex.se, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 01:21:46AM +1000, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:
> 'Harder' is an awkward word, it has too many meanings in this context.
> One meaning says that any extra exertion required rules out the change,
> one meaning says that extra complexity rules out the change. I'm not
> sure which one you mean or if you indeed mean both.

They're the same, it is only a question of when the exertion comes.

The important thing is that we do not netto loose contributions; this
means that any extra complexity or work has to be outweighted by
either decreasing the support work for the people presently doing the
work, or make sure that new people will chip in (possibly because the
increases in convenience makes them use FreeBSD instead of something
else).

Eivind.