Date:      05 Apr 1998 18:13:06 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swap-leak in 2.2.5 ?

Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com> writes:
> In article <657.891465523.kithrup.freebsd.current@critter.freebsd.dk> you write:
> >The problem is, the kernel cannot account for the twohundred som Mbyte
> >of swap space it claims is in use.  Even if I kill all processes the
> >number doesn't decrease significantly :-(
> There is something wrong with -stable.  I reported this to John about a month
> ago, maybe two (I forget exactly).

See the FreeBSD FAQ, section 12.1. I have seen better explanations
than the one in the FAQ, but the main thing is: don't worry. It's
completely normal for FreeBSD to report lots of swap in use after a
while. It's simply a *lot* faster to keep already-linked executables
in memory (and move them into swap when memory goes full) rather than
throwing them out and having to reload and relink them next time they
are invoked, as long as they haven't changed in the meantime.

David, I hope my explanation is not too far off?

--
fprintf(stderr, "I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out.\n");