Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:27:23 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Dan Mahoney <danm@danmahoney.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dialing Out?

On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Dan Mahoney wrote:

> Hi.  I'm using pine on my home BSD machine, and I notice that it forces my
> ppp connection open whenever I launch pine.  Is there any reason for this,
> and is there any way to quell this behavior?

Pine is doing a DNS lookup on startup.  There may be a Pine option which
can stop this.

Otherwise make sure that /etc/hosts contains a reference to the fqdn of
the system, and make sure that "hosts" is before "bind" in /etc/host.conf.

PS.  when sending to mailing lists as well managed as the FreeBSD lists,
you are much more likely to get a reply if a real address is used.  While
the occasional piece of spam does come through, it is now quite rare.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia