Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 16:08:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
Cc:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

On Mon, 7 Apr 1997, Dave Alderman wrote:

> Stephen Roome wrote:
> >

> > I've just talked to a friend here though who reminded be about
> > the AMD K6, that will (apparently) be socket 7 (pentium board compatible).
> > So... Is it worth going for a pentium board especially if the K6 is going
> > to be all it's hyped up to be or not ? (assuming it comes out soon)
> >

> The AMD K6 was released on April 2.  You can order it now (at least in
> the 200 Mhz version).  I know of one chip dealer that is offering it
> now.
>
> Does anyone know if this CPU has multiprocessor support?

Not for FreeBSD.  The basic interprocessor communications is done by the
APIC hardware, of which there are two flavors: Intel's patented APIC
design, and everyone else's OpenApic.  Only trouble is, all the existing
motherboards, and FreeBSD's software, support Intel's APIC design, not
OpenApic.  I'm not aware that there's any support in any OS for OpenApic,
or in any motherboard that's available.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |