Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 00:52:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: html-editor

Kent Stewart writes:
> FWIW, I test from a different computer in both IE and NN mode because
> of the vast differences in capabilities. The most common but different
> feature I've seen is how they treat tables. The capabilities are not
> comparable. I also stay away from the unique features.

Note that IE & NN are *very* similar browsers. IE was developed from
the NCSA Mosaic code, and NN was initially designed to be bug-for-bug
compatible with NCSA Mosaic. But they've had sufficiently different
sets of bugs that you really do need to test in both of them.

You should also test in a browser whose design goal is to follow the
standard: I'd recommend /usr/ports/www/amaya. It also does a WYSISKWYG
(that's What You See is Sorta-Kinda What You Get) HTML
editor. Finally, testing in LUI browser (w3m or lynx; both in the
ports) to make sure you didn't accidently shut out users who like fast
browsers.

	<mike