Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 03:37:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, smowball99@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Dual Booting & Errors

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Fri Jan  1 03:01:03 1999
> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:58:41 -0800 (PST)
> From: f f <smowball99@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Dual Booting & Errors
> To: questions@freebsd.org
>

> Hello
>
>   Hello I have encountered a problem when I install
> our FreeBSD 4.0 box with our already installed
> Windows98 partition.
>
> Windows98 is already installed and is listed as the
> first partition when the FreeBSD partition table comes
> up.  The drive is a 20GB Western Digital.  About 9GB
> is dedicated to Windows98 and the rest I would like to
> get FreeBSD installed on.
>
> I can get the partition tables setup right letting
> Windows98 be first then I start installing the
> packages then I go back (after packages completes)
> and it gives me the following error:
> "Root Filesystem extends past 1024 and cannot be
> booted from" is this a problem with the Windows98
> partition being first or did I actually make the
> "root" partition (it was about 1.5gigs) and the
> "root" partition is the partition that is labled
> as "/" correct?  If I don't make the partitions large
> enough then I try and install other programs or larger
> programs it says there isn't enough space.  MOST of
> the partitions are greater then 1gig (besides the
> swap.  Do I need to install FreeBSD first then Win98
> to fix this problem.  I even tried putting FreeBSD
> first and it gives me the same message!
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> Brad
>
> =====

	Run FIPS on the WIN98SE partition to cut its size down.  Make a small FreeBSD partition completely underneath that pesky 1024 cylinder.  This partition can be root and need only be about 50 MB.  Add on another Extended DOS partitionif you need more room for WIN.(this is a good idea anyway as a failsafe in case WIN dies on you).  Then you can use the rest of the disk for FreeBSD(/usr,/var,etc.).

good luck

Ian