Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:42:34 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Jeremy Porter <jerry@freeside.fc.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Subject:   Re: problem capturing video with BT848/Haughpage Win/Tv

Jeremy Porter:
 |I've gotten my system to be able to display video in a window
 |with fxtv, but I can't seem to save data.  This system is a
 |AMD K5-133 and doesn't have a lot of horsepower, but that
 |doesn't seem to be the problem.  The save image feature doesn't
 |work it reports "No frozen image".  The freeze image button doesn't
 |seem to matter here.
Amancio Hasty:
 |I think that there may be a problem with fxtv saving non-interlaced images
 |however with interlaced images it seems to work rather well.

No, no problem's ever been reported with freeze-frame of images, single or
double field.

I suspect this is the "Bt848 driver isn't issuing frame completion signals"
problem that I'm helping Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net> with now.  Look in your
-multimedia list mail for the thread labeled:  "Re: Bt848: no IRQ".

Jeremy, a few questions about your system config to try and nail this down:

         - FreeBSD version  (2.2.6, 3.0-current [how current])
         - Is your system SMP?
         - Fxtv version
         - Capture Card       (e.g. Hauppauge WinTV)
         - Capture Card Tuner (e.g. Philips FR1236MK2)
         - dmesg output.  E.g.:

            bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x11 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0
            Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, dbx stereo.

         - Relevent kernel config lines
         - "fxtv -debug startup" output

Finally, please grab the source for Fxtv-0.46
(http://multiverse.com/~rhh/fxtv), and add this line to the top of
tvcapture.c::TVCAPTUREFrameDoneSigHdlr():

     static void TVCAPTUREFrameDoneSigHdlr()
     {
         printf( "Got a frame!\n" );            /*  <---  Add this line  */
         S_frame_done_count++;

Then compile fxtv, run it, and freeze a frame.  If you don't see:

         Got a frame!

the driver's not issuing signals to Fxtv like it should.

Thanks,

Randall