Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 95 13:02:55 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        nik@blueberry.co.uk, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Loadable kernel modules/filesystems

> > There's already an interface to lookup by name; the missing piece is
> > is passing a name instead of a constant over the mount layer and some
> > changes to table lookup, organization, and dead entry identification.
>
> I do not believe that there is any valid reason to do this, which is
> why I didn't implement it that way.

So i can add frogfs to the kernel and mount a frogfs file system without
having to recompile my kernel or modify system header files.

I thought this was obvious.  If nothing else, it is a necessary step
towards support of user space file system development, unless you have
a kernel source level debugger and have been holding out on us.

> > Really, it wants file systems to be described with a flags descriptor
> > so that you can know whether a file system is local or remote
>
> Which we have and do set as appropriate.

Prior to root mount, and in all cases?

I was looking for this for a kernel SAMBA FS and didn't see it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.