Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:19:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeff Richards <bsd24x7@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multiple USB drives stability question

Is there a practical limit on the number of active USB drives with FreeBSD?=
=A0 I've had stability issues using multiple USB drives as storage.

My initial design goal was cheap, hot-swappable storage.=A0 I am only using=
 a 100MB network currently so throughput on the storage is not a problem as=
 I can't push the data to/from the drives faster than what my network reque=
sts are.=A0=20

I first tried my setup on 7.0, then migrated to a newer PC, then upgraded t=
o 7.2.=20
=A0
I have the following USB drive setup:

1 320GB gmirror (320x2) + gjournal + ufs2
1 1TB gmirror (1TBx2) + gjournal + ufs2
1 150GB gjournal=A0 + ufs2

I also have another 1TB gmirror (1TBx2) + gjournal but removed it.=A0 The s=
ystem crashed when I used these drives (bacula or bonnie++) so I pulled the=
m to test on another system.

Recently my stability issue has been when I have been writing data to the 1=
50GB gjournal drive from the 320GB gmirror device (USB device -> USB device=
).=A0 It will be working fine, then all I/O stops on the 150GB drive.=A0 Th=
e system remains responding to other USB devices etc. for a while.=A0 I try=
 rebooting and the system crashes with gjournal errors (didn't write down, =
but I will later).=A0=20

Every time this happens the 1TB gmirror comes up fine but one of the 320GB =
providers is missing.=A0 No problem after 'gmirror forget' and 'gmirror ins=
ert'.=A0 Everything rebuilds fine.=A0 The 150GB gjournal drive is fine afte=
r a 'fsck -y'.

I do pair the gmirror drives to the same USB adapter.=A0 Found out after in=
itial testing with multiple USB adapters that they do not appear standard e=
nough to cross adapters like I would for a production server at work to pre=
vent SPOF with an adapter.

I have tried Linux as well with softraid and LVM2 on the same hardware.=A0 =
It worked fine until I applied software updates and the udev took 30+ minut=
es to boot.=A0 I went back to FreeBSD.=A0 Even when I crashed I was back up=
 in 2-5 minutes.

I can and will provide more detail if requested.=A0 My concern is that the =
issue seems to continue no matter what hardware/OS changes I try.

Thanks in advance.

=0A=0A=0A