Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:01:57 -0600
From:      Eric Liedtke <jesus@musinghalfwit.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86-4.2.0 ioctl question

While trying to build the XFree86-4-Server port this evening(cvsuped
today around 1PM CST)
the build died  due to a redefinition of xf86ioctl. The file
/usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server/work/xc/programs/Xserver/include/xf86_ansic.h

has the 3rd ioctl argument defined as pointer , which I believe is
typdef'ed as a void * in the
Xdefs.h file. On the system source however
/usr/include/src/ioccom.h
has ioctl defind as
int ioct(int,unsigned long, ...).
According to the man page the 3rd arg is traditionally refered to as
char * argp , however
usually needs to be either an int or caddr_t. So I changed the
definition in the xf86_ansic.h
file to match the system's definition and tried to build again. This
time the build died for the
same reason, a redefinition of xf86ioctl, but the offending file was
xc/programs/Xserver/os/clibwrapper.c(line 442).
Of couse the 3rd arg was defined as pointer argp.So at this point I was
a bit confused so
looking at the defiition for xf86open, which has ... as a 3rd arg I saw
that this arg is only passed
to the system open is a specific case, otherwise it is
ommited.Unfortunately at this point I have no
clue as to what cases would require what argument types for ioctl, and I
don't think just omitting
this argument would be correct either, so basically I'm stumped. I don't
even know if I'm on the
right track here with what I've done thus far, so any help would be
appreciated. I am trying to
build this on  a -current machine if that makes a difference. Thanks for
any help/input.

eric liedtke