Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 22:44:41 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programs

On Fri, Jan 16, 1998 at 07:23:19PM -0600, Frank Griffith wrote:
> I have completed the FreeBSD 2.2.5 install from the FTP site
> over the Internet. Lets just say that my current financial status
> forces me to do this without the CD for now!
>
> I selected the ports during installation and think I have what I
> need to get some of the programs running. Anyway I have a
> /usr/ports/ directory which is full of stuff. In particular I would
> like to get the sunclock program running. Do I have to get
> X-Windows running first. And If so, how do I do that.

Yes, you will need to set up XFree86 before you can run sunclock.
You should be able to build and install it before X is set up.
To build sunclock

  cd /usr/ports/astro/sunclock
  make
  su
  make install

> Please phrase your answer in the simplest terms as many
> of the responses I have received to date assume I know
> what to do in between the steps. I am a total greeny on
> this, although I'm a CNE with Novell, UNIX is still very
> new to me.

To install XFree86, you can either run XF86Setup (GUI) or
xf86config (text based). You will need to be root (su) to
perform this task. Find your display adapter and monitor
specifications because you're probably going to need them.
You may even have to open up your system to determine the
controller on your display adapter. :-(

Be sure to enter the correct data when prompted as you
can *damage* your monitor by supplying incorrect data.

I am not going to attempt to describe the set-up here.
Please see the ``Quick-Start Guide to XFree86 Setup'' at

   http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.1/QuickStart.html

and the ``XFree86 Frequently Asked Questions'' at

  http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/index.html

for guidance.

If you run into trouble, post your problem/question to this
list.

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.