Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:00:53 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   keeping a system in use during a complete rebuild?

I am becoming increasingly suspicious that my installation took some
damage while the mainboard was failing.  I have seen, among other
things, log files with garbage characters, as well as the general
strange behavior.

I cannot put my system aside for a couple of days to rebuild, due to
several deadlines this week.  What I'm contemplating is something along
the lines of moving /usr to /usr2, adding /usr2 to my paths as
a user but not as root, and trying to recompile every last line on
the machine, and every single port. (I currently have inconsisencies
from files that are present without ports, files overwritten by
other ports, etc.)

Is this doable?  will I regret it?

hawk