Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 00:17:39 GMT
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        keith@mail.telestream.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM ThinkPad Dead - A20/T20

>I've just attempted an install of 4.0 onto a IBM ThinkPad A20. After what
>seemed like a perfect install it refuses to boot or even be able to get to
>the bios. I looked in the archives and found a few people with the exact
>same issue varying in ways to attempt to get it to work on replys to the
>messages. It seems the ThinkPad does not like the partition/filesystem
>of FreeBSD. Is there a method whereby I can get this thing to run FreeBSD
>that is tried and true?

Keith, I've got a Thinkpad T20 (supposedly the same type of machine) and I'm
having the same problem.

I've also tried the boot record deleting and partition type renumbering
without any success. I'm trying to get dual boot working with Win2000 and
it's this point that seems to be the show stopper. Everyone that manages to
get a dual boot working seems to be using Win9x, nobody can get it going
with 2000/NT.(Please, someone say I'm wrong here)

Something that I learnt yesterday is Jon Chen has made a FreeBSD
distribution for the T20. The documentation I've seen about it says it was
made to fix the ethernet and video incompatibilites with this machine.
Nothing is mentioned of the boot problems but perhaps that's included...? I
don't know because I just *FINALLY* got the ISO downloaded and having
managed to get the time to install yet.

If you want to try the distro yourself hit this page for a list of the
mirrors carring the ISO...

http://www.acm.rpi.edu/laptop.php

... I'm suspicous of the "easier installation" part so I'm going to check
that bit out before I try an install. I do not want my Win2000 partition
clobbered.

If anyone knows anything more about the custom distro (are you there Jon?)
perhaps you could drop us a line. I have heard from one person successfully
using it in a dual boot setup with Win9x.

Aaron Hill