Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 02:28:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mozart, Bravo Sound.

Hello there!

I have had some problems with sound cards.

In my office I had a Mozart sound card connected to my HP Vectra 486/66
running FreeBSD 2.1.0 (some days ago) and now running FreeBSD 2.1.5.

It did not worked.  The kernel did not recognize it as a Sound Blaster.  My
card says that it can handle a Sony CDROM.  Neither the sound card nor the
CDROM were visible to FreeBSD as you can see in the listing bellow:

FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Sep  2 09:11:53 CDT 1996
    root@Michelle.esfm.ipn.mx:/usr/src/sys/compile/EVS
CPU: i486 DX2 (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x435  Stepping=5
  Features=0x3<FPU,VME>
real memory  = 8388608 (8192K bytes)
avail memory = 6615040 (6460K bytes)
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
ed0: disabled, not probed.
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16450
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16450
sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa
sio2: type 16550A
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
psm0: disabled, not probed.
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: NEC 765
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
fd1: 1.2MB 5.25in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80008000 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST3283A>
wd0: 233MB (479220 sectors), 978 cyls, 14 heads, 35 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <ST3660A>
wd1: 520MB (1065456 sectors), 1057 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
mcd0: disabled, not probed.
scd0: timeout.
scd0 not found at 0x340                   <-------LOOK!  Sony CD-Rom
matcdc0: disabled, not probed.
ep0: disabled, not probed.
sb0 not found at 0x220                    <-------LOOK!  "Sound Blaster"
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>
mpu0 at 0x330 irq 10 drq 0 on isa
mpu0: <MPU-401 MIDI Interface 0.0 >
uart0 at 0x350 irq 13 on isa
uart0: <6850 Midi Interface>
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to wd1a

Couriously my kernel recognizes some "parts" of my sound card, as you can
see.  There is a program called "playmidi" in the packages, and it
reports the sound card is not correctly initialized.

I supossed there was a problem in the card, so I took it to another computer
running MSDOS and it worked perfectly.   I made a MSDOS bootable disk and
I configured the drivers of the sound card.  I took it to my computer,
installed the card again and made it boot.   It worked and the sound card
was clearly functional.   Then I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and made the
computer start from FreeBSD.   The kernel reconize it, as you can see
in this listing:

Michelle:/usr/home/mrspock> dmesg

FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Sep  2 09:11:53 CDT 1996
    root@Isabeau.esfm.ipn.mx:/usr/src/sys/compile/EVS
[...]
scd0 at 0x340-0x343 on isa                   <-----NOW LOOK!!!!
scd0: <SONY CD-ROM CDU33A Rev 1.0f>
matcdc0: disabled, not probed.
ep0: disabled, not probed.
sb0 at 0x220 irq 11 drq 1 on isa             <-----NOW LOOK!!!!
sb0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.2>
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>
mpu0 at 0x330 irq 10 drq 0 on isa
mpu0: <MPU-401 MIDI Interface 0.0 >
uart0 at 0x350 irq 13 on isa
uart0: <6850 Midi Interface>
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
changing root device to wd1a

What happened?   I did not know.  I shutted my computer down and turned
it off.  Again, I boot under FreeBSD and the sound card and my CDROM were
missing again!  argh!

But I did not give up.  I started again my computer with my MSDOS
diskette and pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and made my computer start under FreeBSD.
My sound card and my CD-ROM appeared again.  I started to cry.

Obviously, MSDOS has made some initilization to my sound card that
was lost when I turned it off.  This possible  initialization was not
missing when I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Somehow there was a misterious initialization process in the MS-DOS
drivers that FreeBSD had not made.  I think Mozart people can show the
FreeBSD people how to initialize their famous sound card...  I will be
very happy if they do.

But as I stated before, I won't give up!  If Mozart people do not tell
FreeBSD team who to initialize this card I will hack their drivers and I
will find how to do it!

There is another possibility: perhaps my kernel is not well
configurated. I doubt it.  My card works fine under FreeBSD  when it is
previously initialized by MS-DOS drivers and rebooted under FreeBSD.

But there is another fact...

In home I have another computer and I bought a cheap sound card called
"Bravo Sound".  It claims to be a Sound Blaster clone and it can handle
my Sony CDROM.

It was courious to see the same phenomena with it.

I have a little work to do this days, but the next weekend I promise to
hack the MS-DOS drivers.

I'll keep in touch.

              \/

("Lalo" is a Mexican-Spanish short name for Eduardo)