Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:27:42 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        Tuc <tuc@ttsg.com>, marcus@marcuscom.com (Joe Marcus Clarke), blovett@bsdguru.com (Ben Lovett), freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell 8200 - NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go - XF86

"Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org> wrote:

> Well, it's probably perfectly find, but the packages are built once, at
> release time, whereas the XFree 4.2 postdates the release, so it has to be
> build from that port.  If you build both from ports, then they are both
> current.  If you install both from packges, then they are both older (current
> as of when the release was done).  But if you build X from a port and install
> the window manager as a package, then the wind up running with an older
> package over a newer X.

     While this may be true of packages from a CDROM, it's not
*necessarily* true of downloaded packages.  The packages seem to be
periodically rebuilt, although the times and frequency of package
rebuilds seem to be a bit unpredictable, being around every 3-5 weeks.
(I assume that, if the packages are rebuilt, they're also installed for
use by subsequent package compilations.)

     The last package rebuild seems to have occurred around April 27th.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com