Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:48:08 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Parks <pleaseworky@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can I re-label partitions on the fly with sysinstall ?

On Saturday, 29 December 2001 at 10:00:31 -0700, Joe Parks wrote:
> I have a machine with two disks, first disk has a 1gig root, then a 7gig
> /mnt/data partition.
>
> Second disk has a 200meg /var and 128meg swap, then a 7.5gig /mnt/data2
> partition.
>
> ---
>
> I would like to start /stand/sysinstall over ssh (machine is in a different
> state) and split each of the two /mnt/dataX partitions into multiple 1gig
> /mnt/dataX partitions.
>
> So the / partition on the first disk will not change, and the /var and swap
> partitions on the second disk will not change - I plan on not having any
> downtime associated with this - I will just delete each of the two ~7 gig
> data partitions and make 7 ~1gig data partitions in their place.
>
> ---
>
> So first off, is this reasonable ?  Can I safely use /stand/sysinstall on a
> running machine to relabel the disks ?

Yes.

> Second, will this new labeling scheme be in effect immediately after
> exiting /stand/sysinstall, or will I need to reboot ?

You'll have to use the w (write) command to make it take effect.  You
don't need to reboot; that won't change anything.

> Will I need to manaully edit things like /etc/fstab ?  Or will
> sysinstal l do this for me.

I'm not sure.  I think it does edit /etc/fstab, but you'd better check.

> Third, how should I _commit_ the change ?  Should I press 'w' in the
> label screen (for write) and then just quit out of sysinstall ?  Or
> is it more elaborate than that ?

No, that's the way to do it.

> Finally, I started /stand/sysinstall, went to 'custom' and went to
> 'label' and was surprised to see in the "mount point" column for
> each partition the word "none" - why does the custom label function
> in sysinstall not know the label names of my partitions ?

It's a bug.  It doesn't read /etc/fstab, because it doesn't expect to
find anything there.  But you shouldn't be going via the custom
install, go via the index.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.