Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:12:06 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnode leak in FFS code ... ?

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Allan Fields wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:19:27PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if this is applicable to -current as well, but so far,
>>> anything like this I've uncovered in 4.x has needed an equivalent fix in
>>> 5.x, so figured it can't hurt to ask, especially with everyone working
>>> towards a STABLE 5.x branch ... I do not have a 5.x machine running this
>>> sort of load at the moment, so can't test, or provide feedback there ...
>>> all my 5.x machines are more or less desktops ...
>>>
>>> On Saturday, I'm going to try an unmount of the bigger file system,
>>> to see
>>> if it frees everything up without a reboot ... but if someone can
>>> suggest
>>> something to check to see if it is a) a leak and b) is fixable
>>> between now
>>> and then, please let me know ... again, this is a 4.10 system, but
>>> most of
>>> the work that Tor and David have done (re: vnodes) in the past
>>> relating to
>>> my servers have been applied to 5.x first, and MFC'd afterwards, so I
>>> suspect that this too many be something that applies to both branches
>>

>> Unmounting the filesystems will call vflush() and should flush all
>> vnodes from under that mount point.  I'm not entirely sure if this
>> is the best you can do w/o rebooting.
>

> Understood, and agreed ... *but* ... is there a way, before I do that,
> of determining if this is something that needs to be fixed at the OS
> level? Is there a leak here that I can somehow identify while its in
> this state?
>
> The server has *only* been up 25 days

It's really hard to tell if there is a vnode leak here.  The vnode pool
is fairly fluid and has nothing to do with the number of files that are
actually 'open'.  Vnodes get created when the VFS layer wants to access
an object that isn't already in the cache, and only get destroyed when
the object is destroyed.  A vnode that reprents a file that was opened
will stay 'active' in the system long after the file has been closed,
because it's cheaper to keep it active in the cache than it is to
discard it and then risk having to go through the pain of a namei()
and VOP_LOOKUP() again later.  Only if the maxvnode limit is hit will
old vnodes start getting recycled to represent other objects.  So in
other words, just becuase you open a file and then close it does not
mean the the vfs.numvnodes counter will increase by 1 and then decrease
by 1.  It'll increase by 1 and then stay there until something causes
the vnode to be destroyed.  Unmounting a filesystem is one way to
destroy vnodes, and unlinking files is another was (IIRC, my memory
might not be correct here).

So you've obviously bumped up kern.maxvnodes well above the limits that
are normally generated from the auto-tuner.  Why did you do that, if not
because you knew that you'd have a large working set of referenced (but
maybe not open all at once) filesystem objects?  In reality, a number
that large is pretty impractical unless you're doing something
specialized like a very large (and active) squid cache, or a large NNTP
server.  In those cases, you'll likely reach the maxvnode limit
relatively quickly, after which you'll be relying on the system to do
it's best at keeping the cache hot with useful objects.  If you don't
have a case like that then numvnodes might not ever grow to meet
maxvnodes, or will only do so over a good deal of time.  Taking 25 days
to grow is not terribly unusual if you are serving a large website,
fileserver, file-based database, etc.  However, for slow-growth cases
like this, a large maxvnodes is likely uneeded and is a waste of kernel
RAM.

If unmounting the filesystem doesn't result in numvnodes decreasing,
then there definitely might be a leak.  Unfortunately, you haven't
provided that kind of information yet.

Scott