Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:44:41 +0100
From:      Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
To:        O. Hartmann <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Phoronix Benchmarks: Waht's wrong with FreeBSD 8.0?

On Nov 30, 2009, at 12:38 PM, O. Hartmann wrote:

> Thomas Backman wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:47 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:
>>> I'm just wondering what's wrong with FreeBSD 8.0/amd64 when I read =
the Benchmarks on Phoronix.org's website. Especially FreeBSD's threaded =
I/O shows in contrast to all claims that have been to be improoved the =
opposite.
>> Corrected link: =
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=3Darticle&item=3Dfreebsd8_benchmarks=
&num=3D1
>> And yeah, quite honestly: disk scheduling in FreeBSD appears to =
suck... The only reason I'm not switching from Linux. :(
>> Regards,
>> Thomas
>> (PS. See my thread about horrible console latency during disk IO in =
the archives, very related. DS.)
>=20
> Hello Thomas.
> I recall myself having had similar problems during heavy disk I/O (UFS =
and ZFS) with stuck console, stuck clients and especially stuck =
X11-clients. The discussion was really 'hot', but in the end no clear =
statement was made whether this is disk-i/o related or a deeper problem =
in the scheduler.
>=20
> Sorry for the lack of the link, I thought Phoronix is well known ...
>=20
> Oliver
That's too bad, re: the scheduling. It seems to be a quite universal =
problem, yet I haven't seen much effort spent on working on the problem. =
:/

Re: phoronix, I commented mostly because the site is .com and not .org, =
so I came to a parked domain when I clicked your link. :)
Also, I figured linking directly to the article will help the archives.

Regards,
Thomas=