Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:32:17 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: device.hints

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 12:51:39PM -0800, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > I want to experiment with current. All went well on the build, but when I
> > try and install the kernel it stops telling me to install a "device.hints"

You should have also read UPDATING.  Please start a habit of checking
this document if you are going to run -current.

20000825:
	/boot/device.hints is now required for installkernel to
	succeed.  You should copy GENERIC.hints for your architecture
	into /boot/device.hints.  If and only if you compile hints
	into your kernel, then this file may be empty.  Please note,
	if you have an empty or missing /boot/device.hints file and
	you neglected to compile hints into your kernel, no boot
	messages will appear after the boot loader tries to start the
	kernel.