Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 22:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Announcing a new cvsup server - cvsup6.freebsd.org

Harlan Stenn wrote:

> First, what's wrong with stamping the files in a mirror with the timestamp
> it has on the master?

That's what it does already.

> Second, how much work would it be to add, say, md5 checksums to CVS.

CVSup can already do md5 checksums, but I don't see how it would
help here.  Remember the problem we're trying to solve: find out
quickly whether a given server would regress any of the client's
files.

> Third, isn't the version number useful for something?

Yes, there's promise there.  But there are things such as tags that
don't have any history associated with them.  Also, not all files
are RCS files.

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong